Monday 14 May 2018

University Second Year Reflection & Summer Plans

Hey! I'm back!

In April I had 3 assignment deadlines, an exam and then 2 at the beginning of May. Which meant no time for blogging! However, my second year of University is now over which means I can get back to it.


My second year of University was incredibly challenging and stressful and I am relieved it is over. I'd like to say University is all fun and games but it is incredibly challenging on your mental health. At the beginning of the year I was seriously considering suspending my studies for a year as I was completely stressed out and unhappy. I didn't feel like I could cope with my studies and my grades would be affected. I had friends who also suspended their studies at that time and I was jealous they were getting a break. I was also struggling with going to Uni all day then going straight to work in the evening. So tiring. However, I persevered and I made it through. I haven't achieved all the grades I wanted this year and I feel like I could have done better but I am glad I got through it rather than suspending my studies. 



Next year is my final year, and it is crazy to think this time next year I will be finishing my undergraduate degree! Although I am excited to finish, I am also beginning to have that "What next?" panic. I've been questioning my career plans and how to go about achieving it after my undergraduate degree. I've been researching postgraduate degrees and what I have to do to get on the courses and I am terrified! These important life changes can be so daunting. For now though, I will concentrate on the time I have left with my University friends (that haven't already left for sandwich years) and focus on getting through third year. Writing a dissertation and doing all the exams I have next year sound scary but at least they're going to be modules I have actually picked and I am interested in.

So now that it is Summer and I don't have University until September, what are my plans?



Firstly, I am going to go on well deserved holidays. I've got Barcelona booked with a friend and Majorca booked with my sister and niece. I haven't been to either places so I am super excited! I am also having a caravan holiday to Devon with my Dad, sisters and nephew so I hope we get good weather! You never know with holidaying in the UK.

I will also be doing volunteering I have recently started with a adolescent and young people's mental health charity. I'll be working with young people and parents and already I love it. The charity will also be training me this Summer in various aspects of working with young people's mental health which I am excited about because they're the age group I want to work with in my career. 

Additionally, I want to bring back hobbies that I always put off when I am in education. This includes dancing, reading...and blogging! I aim to learn at least one new dance and read at least 2 books. I also want to get back to my old schedule of 2-3 blog posts a week. We'll see!

Finally, I just want to make the most of the nice weather and get out doing fun things. I've spent so much time inside cooped up studying. I recently got into a new relationship and we both really enjoy getting out so I am sure we will end up doing some fun things. We already went to Alton Towers last week which was great.

Thank you for reading and well done to my fellow students who have just finished exams and last assignments. Enjoy your time off!

No comments:

Post a Comment