Sunday 24 May 2015

Leaving Sixth Form

Hey!

Sorry I've been away lately. I've been busy finishing Sixth Form! After 2 years in Sixth Form I have finally finished- all I need to do now is do the exams. 

I'm not going to lie, leaving Sixth Form is the best thing that has happened to me in a while. I don't want to scare off anyone going to Sixth Form, but for me personally it was the hardest and most stressful time of my life. Without sounding too pessimistic, I spent most of my time feeling invisible to the people around me, feeling anxious and completely overwhelmed by the amount of difficult work I had to do. I mean in Sixth Form you do have more freedom than in high school and you're mostly doing subjects you actually enjoy, but otherwise I hated it.

In my first year I studied Psychology, Sociology, English Language and Law and then in Year 13 I carried on the first 3 subjects and dropped Law. Although I really enjoyed Law and hated English, I had to face the fact that I was crappy at Law and fairly good at English. Sometimes you have to make the decisions that are best for yourself which aren't necessarily the things that you really want.

To celebrate our end of sixth form we did various things. It is tradition at our Sixth Form to dress up in fancy dress on the last day. I didn't want to spend lots of money on something I'd never wear again so I put on the knee-high socks I already owned with playing cards on them and then printed out playing cards and suits to stick on to a white top that I never wore. All I paid for was the fabric glue! I topped it off with Mac's Ruby Woo on my lips and black winged eyeliner. It is also part of the tradition to watch a video of messages from the teacher's performed in a humorous way, alongside watching a music video the majority of Sixth Form made to 'Uptown Funk' and 'Thinking Out Loud'.

Another tradition that we have is a pub crawl. We began at 1 pm and finished about 9 pm going to 7 different pubs. That was quite fun, walking to each pub in a massive group of about 70 of us in fancy dress then getting more and more drunk. It is something I'll never forget.

It will feel weird not going there again. My Sixth Form is connected to the high school I used to go to so after 7 years of being there I have finally left. It will be weird to adjust to and kinda scary but I am looking forward to the change. I need to leave that place behind me so I can begin a new, adult, chapter in my life and meet new people. I've left that place with mixed emotions but I feel ready to have some change in my life.

In the mean time, I will study hard at home and do my dreaded exams! I have 5 exams to do and will be finished by the 19th June. Sorry if I post less in that time!

For those of you starting Sixth Form or College this year, I made a post a couple of months ago called '5 Tips for Surviving Sixth Form' if you'd like to view it here.

Are you in Sixth Form, left or are even starting Sixth Form this year? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment